Cincinnati Reds Summer Slugger
Summer Learning Loss Prevention
Welcome to the Reds Summer Slugger Program
Learning is important year-round and that is why we're excited to offer our fans this program. Summer Slugger is a continuous and engaging learning experience that uses the game of baseball to prepare students of all backgrounds to enter the next school year on track.
Reds Summer Slugger Challenge: Jackie Robinson Day
Each year on April 15, all Major League Baseball teams join together to celebrate the legacy of Jackie Robinson, the man who broke baseball’s color barrier. Fans around the game join the salute, which includes all uniformed personnel donning Jackie’s #42 for games.
In Cincinnati, the man credited with integrating Reds baseball was Chuck Harmon, who made his first appearance for the Reds on April 17, 1954. In this Summer Slugger Challenge, we encourage you to read more about Chuck and his path to making history in the Queen City.
Here’s a chance to test your knowledge about the article you just read!
Submit your answers to these questions with your name and address to HallofFame@reds.com, and the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum presented by Dinsmore will send you a special Reds prize for participating.
- What team did Jackie Robinson play for?
- In 1947, Larry Doby became the second Black player in baseball when he played with what team?
- Chuck earned All-America honors in 1943 at what university?
- Before taking a summer job with the city of Toledo’s Recreation Department, what Negro American League team did Chuck play for?
- What team did the Reds trade Chuck to in May 1956?
- How many different positions did Chuck play? Can you name them?
- How old was Chuck when he retired from playing baseball?
- After working as a scout in both MLB and the NBA, where did Chuck work as an administrative assistant?
- Where can fans find Chuck’s plaque that celebrates his life and legacy?
- Chuck was one of the founding members of what group?
PLAY WEEKLY SERIES
Each week, students complete a series of fun, baseball-themed Math and Literacy games to practice the critical lessons learned in school.
Trophies and other incentives can be earned through continuous progress.
Challenges encountered throughout provide students a fun way to reinforce other concepts such as physical fitness and community involvement.
Summer Slugger Resources
Build off Summer Slugger with additional resources to keep the learning going!
School & Community Organizations
If you're a school or community organization, please click the link below. We look forward to having you join our team!